Monday, September 21, 2009

Why 'Persian Coercion'? I'll tell you.

Hey! How are you? Thanks for dropping by today! For you, my door is always open ;-)

I bet you're wondering why I chose this name for my blog URL. Maybe you're not; maybe you're totally uninterested in titles and simply care about what I have to say. Either way, I figure an explanation is in order.

I'm Persian, and that's how I introduce myself everytime someone asks me where I'm "from" even though I speak perfect English, have zero accent, and was born in America. But they can't help it. I look...different. I have dark hair, dark, eyes, olive skin, and a 'woman's figure'. When I say, "I'm Persian", I almost always get the same quizzical look. They aren't completely crazy: technically, there is no Persia anymore. For those of you that haven't opened a history book, the area formally known as the 'Persian Empire' has now been reduced to a much smaller version called 'Iran'. There are some of us Iranians that still refer to ourselves as Persian; we all have our own different and certainly unique reasons for that, but for me, I can't relate the origin of my cultural identity to the present state of the country of Iran. It is undoubtedly the home of my relatives and loved ones, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for that. For the sake of sparing myself unnecessary controversy, I'll keep this part of my explanation short. I haven't even said that much already, but this is such a sensitive topic for some Persians/Iranians that I really don't want to say ANYTHING that will offend anybody. NOTE: the purpose of this particular blog posting is NOT to discuss the political situation in the Middle East or anywhere else in the world, for that matter. I am merely trying to explain two things: why I personally use the term 'Persian' and why in the h-e-double-hockey-sticks I have www.persiancoercion.blogspot.com as my URL.

A brief history review from my personal favorite, Wikipedia:

The Achaemenid Empire or Persian Empire (550–330 BC) was the successor state of the Median Empire, ruling over significant portions of what would become Greater Iran. The Persian and the Median Empire taken together are also known as the Medo-Persian Empire, succeeding the Neo-Assyrian Empire.
At the height of its power, it encompassed approximately between 7.5 and 7.7 million square kilometers[1][2]
The empire was forged by Cyrus the Great, and spanned three continents, including territories of Afghanistan and Pakistan, parts of Central Asia, Asia Minor, Thrace, much of the Black Sea coastal regions, Iraq, northern Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, Syria, and all significant population centers of ancient Egypt as far west as Libya. It is noted in western history as the foe of the Greek city states in the Greco-Persian Wars, for freeing the Jews from their Babylonian captivity, and for instituting Aramaic as the empire's official language. It was invaded and conquered by Alexander the Great in 330 BC.
In universal history the role of the Persian empire founded by Cyrus the Great lies in their very successful model for centralized administration and a government working to the advantage and profit of all.[3]

Again, this paragraph above is sure to bring on a whole slew of comments ranging anywhere from a simple 'nod' to a deliberate and well-devised attack on me and my thoughts. Oh well. It just can't be prevented, I guess. It's either that or completely keep my mouth shut - the latter is nearly impossible.

ANYWAY.

The Persian Empire was known for its artistic, musical, poetic, and even military contributions amongst many others as well. It was founded on beautiful and spiritual morals and principles; it certainly made its mark in history and can hold its own in any debate regarding the subject of past global contributions. Iran, on the other hand, is an enigma to me. I don't know anything about it; I have never been there, and anything that I see or hear in the news about it is so war-focused that I'd rather not allow the media to distort the image in my mind. I have seen breath-taking pictures of the countryside, the cities of Tehran and Persepolis, the surprisingly fashion-forward young women hell-bent on cleverly rebelling against the fundamental laws; and still, I just can't relate. There seems to be a specific 'soul' quality missing for me. I just don't hear the poetry of Rumi or Shams-E Tabriz, the spiritual love songs of the ancient lands, the roaring glory and pride of the King's men. In its absence is something else - but rest assured, definitely something of value. But it isn't something that I understand, have learned about in the classroom, or experienced first-hand. It's a wave of something completely new, a tsunami (pun intended) of change. Despite all this, and because I am the relentless and hopeless romantic that I am, I insist on saying that I'm Persian.

Coerce: to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral, or intellectual means.

Hopefully, that begins to explain the 'Persian Coercion' part. In short, I care about you Persian people. I may have been born here in America, but the blood that runs so passionately and intensely through my veins and is pumped by my heart, is undeniably from another land, a distant and far-off place now only relived from the perspective of someone else, books, movies, and other indirect means. Therefor, I have a responsibility: to coerce you - lovingly and gently, of course - into thinking that you are here where you are now FOR A REASON. We are an ancient people, with a rightful place in history - one to be truly proud of. Let us remember to focus on who we are and where we really come from: 
 The Self We Share 

Thirst is angry with water. Hunger bitter with bread.The cave wants nothing to do with the sun. This is dumb, the self- defeating way we've been.


A gold mine is calling us into its temple. Instead, we bend and keep picking up rocks from the ground. Every thing has a shine like gold, but we should turn to the source! 


The origin is what we truly are. I add a little vinegar to the honey I give. The bite of scolding makes ecstasy more familiar. But look, fish, you're already in the ocean: just swimming there makes you friends with glory. What are these grudges about? 


You are Benjamin. Joseph has put a gold cup in your grain sack and accused you of being a thief. Now he draws you aside and says, "You are my brother. I am a prayer. You're the amen." 


We move in eternal regions, yet worry about property here. This is the prayer of each: You are the source of my life. You separate essence from mud. You honor my soul. You bring rivers from the

mountain springs. You brighten my eyes. The wine you offer takes me out of myself into

the self we share. Doing that is religion.


-Above is a poem written by Rumi, a Persian poet who lived in the 13th century. This particular work was translated by Coleman Barks.


And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rana,

    Well said!
    I'd love to hear a song from you for our green movement. We need your support NOW!
    Think about it, plz.

    Majid

    ReplyDelete